Friday 8 January 2010

Whats been walking on my roof?

Whose been walking around on my roof?
As I opened the curtains and I spied......
on my rooftop extention....
Little footprints in the snow
Little footprints side by side....

Tiny little imprints they were..........
With no beginning...and no end
It came, it saw, it searched I'm sure.....
For some food put out with love.....
But when it looked down from the guttering ridge.....
All it saw was by empty wheelie bin lid!!!!!

In seriousness though, I have been making sure that the bird feeders are all filled all the time, so the poor little birdies don't have to search too far....also they've been enjoying the last of the Christmas cake...yummy.

Hows all today, still brrrrrrrring. I went and visited my DD and twins this morning, I had thick tights and sexy bee socks (piccy)!!!.....don't you just love my knitted wonders...but they are wool and wool is natural and sheep stay outside with their coats on in winter and these socks kept my feet comfy cosy. Cord trousers plus two other layers plus thick coat, scarf and some wonderful sheepskin mitts. The cold seeped through these layers, but my hands were warm and I lovingly wore them, you see they smell of my Mum (who is very very poorly)...well the story is Mum has had these mitts for 40 years and Dad asked me a few weeks ago, if I wanted them along with a pair of her thick gloves. I must admit I reluctantly took them, as Dad keeps asking me if I want any of Mums clothes, and most of the time I politely refuse, after all they are all shall be say for ladies of elderly age, but my darling Dad doesn't seem to understand this. So back to mitts, I gave them a wash and put them in a draw just leaving them there until yesterday and today and they now have a new life with me. I love them and I cannot believe the sentiment I feel wearing them, even after a wash they smell of my Mum, she used to wear Max Factor compact face powder and the gloves smell of it. So my darling Mum (even though in the Nursing Home) has been with me today as I walked the cold freezing road....it was sooooooooo comforting. xx


5 comments:

Helen said...

Lovely!! I have my mums old sewing machine and every time I use it I feel she's with me, helping me, teasing me, telling me "a better way to do this and that" Lovely isn't it?

bellaboo said...

I have my Dad's shaving brush.When I was little I would stand by the sink and watch him shaving.Happy memories!Your post today was very touching.

Bellaboo

Helen said...

I am happiest when remembering all of the special things about my precious mother.
Thank you for sharing these personal thoughts today .... stay warm!

lemonade kitty said...

Isn't it lovely to have something that gives us so much comfort? I was given lots of my wonderful sisters things when she went to heaven and they're such a comfort to me too, love Lucey xx

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Its wonderful to be able to carry your Mum in your heart and cherish the gloves she'd kept all those years.
Love the socks.
Susan