Tuesday 17 February 2009

My own thoughts provoked after reading Bargain Hunting at Lauries posting

I have been reading this....http://bargainhuntingwithlaurie.blogspot.com/.....and thought it a very interesting read and made me wonder about my own house and style and the reasons why we feel we have to feather our nests. Styles I suppose are a very subjective thing and what draws our eye to one style and not to another....what makes one comfortable with minimalist and yet another person run a mile from it. I have also noticed that younger homemakers (late 20's/30s) are very much into vintage with all the pale pinks and pale blues and beautiful rosy patterns....but the problem being as much as I love them...I've been there done that. Maybe that is it.....actually have been there, done that......I've done the geometrics in the 70's with the thick pottery coffeee cups....I've done the dralon corner sofas...done the yorkstone fireplaces......done the burgundy carpets with fleur delise pattern on them...done the mahogany furniture.......done the vintage look where I had to have roses everywhere....done the swags and tails for curtains....done and made the festooned blinds.....done the constant going round the antique shops and flea markets...done the minimalist decor...which I must say was my least favourite. I know I just went out and brought vases and plonked a flower in it and have nothing around that said anything at all about me/my life/our family. Well going back to my bit about flea markets and the such...don't get me wrong I still love doing it but I am more restrained now.....in fact I did have so much that there wasn't a shelf that wasn't full...but for more funnily enough it started to make me cross and cause stress. I know this might sound strange, I just wondered why I was collecting so much paraphenalia which albeit was nice but really I just didn't need. In the end it was in boxes in the loft and strangely decided to have a clear out...I kept a few of my favourites and the rest went. It was very uplifting having this sort out, this stuff stuck in boxes and for what...to get out occasionally and look at and go "Oh yes...I've got that and that and that. Nowadays I much prefer to have things that mean something to me...O.k it may be a jug or piece of glasswear/pottery....but I can relate as to when/where/why I purchased it....or something bought as a present. I also find that my house like others is now a mixture of styles.....my new breakfast room is now my favourite room in the house, as it is so comfy cosy and I don't have to bother much with it, it seems to look after itself, it welcomes me. Whereas my dining room is for dining.....you could no more sit there and have your breakfast than do a puzzle in it. Its a room that really isn't needed much knowadays....surplus to requirements one could say. But could I be without it hmmm! I think the jurys out on that one...otherwise where would I use by beautiful Villeroy & Boch dinner service, it certainly wouldn't look right in the brekkyroom. Then theres my lounge....which is my 2nd favourite room...this is the room in the heading photo.....I love my Tetrad sofas, you just sink and flop into them....this room I would prefer to have made more casual looking but again...funnily enough...the room dictates the style....and also I suppose the coffee table...I could I suppose change the coffee table to a more unvarnished pine one and the carpet more country...but then my curtains wouldn't look right. But strange to relate this room lends itself to smart and tidy and also cosy and lived in (hehehe!!! you just don't plump out the feather cushions) and just leave magazines laying open and my knitting around and my hubbys kit woodmaking project on the table.....simple... sorted.
I have a lovely friend called Teresa (same as me) who has a gorgeous flintstone cottage........she has plain pine furniture...rattan dining chairs....baskets with her wool ect in......dried country flowers....lots of different material patterned cushions on her sofas.....a beautiful open fire with a very sweet mantel. She has her art work done in watercolours and pastels over her walls and the whole place looks wonderful. I have my watercolours and pastels but they just don't look right being out...so they are kept in a folder. Her work is lovely. She thinks her home style looks shabby....I tell her "No" its warm/homely/inviting and lived in... her dresser is full of Portmerion china....and strange to say its the sort of look I love and would love to emulate....but it just doesn't work in this house....so again I suppose we must go back to character of property. Our new was a new build in 1994.....and I changed it so quickly I couldn't stand the fact that I had the same kitchen or bathroom as every other neighbour (albeit different colourways)....I had along with hubby to put our own stamp on it and I feel we have done that. I feel this house has a character (well I hope I have managed to impart some in it). So I must thank Laurie for her posting and making me think.......I know now that my house is essentially my home.......sometimes I wonder that I am too houseproud.... but then again I am proud of my house..so???....there is a saying that I have seen... saying that "houseproud women are boring"......dull me...never....got too much chat and too many things I love doing..."now where's that duster". hehe. Cheerio for now....mex

3 comments:

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I cannot believe that I could provoke thoughts! But now you've provoked me to consider some different thoughts! Why am I obsessing on my home decor? Am I house proud? This is another thing I love about blogging. A different perspective on the same subject gets me to thinking, and I need to do more thinking! Thank you for YOUR thought-provoking post, and thank you for the mention of my blog. Your home is one of those that always looks greener to me! laurie

Helen said...

Now ~ I have enjoyed, thoroughly, two blog posts this morning! Yours and Laurie's! I started thinking about my high desert home out here in Oregon and realized that wherever I am living I try to adapt the decorating to the region. Finally got rid of floral sofas and light carpeting in favor of deep wines/dark greens/dusky violets that lend themselves so well to the sagebrush and juniper covered landscape ........

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I am with you, Teresa! I have been through a few styles myself. And I am not doing retro, because I lived it!! lol I think it's funny that they call 50's decor "mid-century modern" now. I think I have finally found my niche in French country now, though. There won't be much in the way of new things for a while in any case...$$...!! Have a great weekend...Debbie