Saturday 14 August 2010

Your first doll?

So ok girls, who still has their very first dolly with them.....meeeeeeeeeeeeee!
She is now half a century yep! 50 years old. Ops nearly giving my age away there, well add 5 years. She has been cuddled, dropped, thrown, covered in make up over the years but bless her she has survived. Shes had quite a few names over the years....Belinda/Matilda/Susan/Barbara/Janet....erm notice the 1950's names. Well now she is being much loved and cuddled by my gorgeous little Granddaughter. She loves to take her to bed, erm not quite soft and cuddly unlike her modern equivalent. What is even more dear to me now is the fact that my darling Mum (who for those that have read passed away some 8 weeks ago) made the outfit for her complete with knitted pants and vest underneath. She made this outfit some 30 years ago for my daughters when they used to play with her. Isn't it lovely that now my Granddaughter is loving her, long may she continue to be cuddled.



Night night, sleep tight......x

Ops! she does have a poorly though....I think that was me as a littleun. Also the elastic holding her together has also been replaced.

6 comments:

Sue at Dollytub Cottage said...

Hi, I've just wandered onto your blog via Vintage Vicki. I collect and restore 1950's dolls. (There's some pics on my blog a few posts back.) I have a replacement leg that fits your doll. I will gladly send it to you for the price of the postage if you would like it. Just let me know. You can email me via my profile page. Kind regards, SueXXX

bellaboo said...

I had one very much like yours.Her name was Rosebud.She's no more sadly..but I do still have the teddy I was given at Xmas when I was five.

Bellaboo ;o)

VintageVicki said...

Seeing Bella's comment reminds me - my Mum has that doll - hers is Rosebud too.

My first dolls still exist - they are in the attic at my parents.

kim said...

Love your blog, just found it today. I'm an avid knitter too.....can't remember having a first doll, I think I must have been a bit of a tomboy as I was always pinching my brothers bow and arrows....

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Teresa! How wonderful that you still have your first doll! I remember mine...but I'm not sure where she is! It's so sweet that your mother made her that little outfit and that she is still being loved by your granddaughter! I hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

Rosie said...

I sadly no longer have my first doll. Seeing yours brought back happy memories of Sandra who look similar and had a pink knitted out fit my mum made for her. She made white knitted pants. I sadly gave Sandra and Joanne my other doll to a relative when I thought I was too grown up for dolls. Little did I know that you can be never too old for them.:)